Microneedling creates microscopic openings in the surface of the skin. It causes the tissue to develop new collagen and elastin, resulting in smoother, firmer skin. Benefits:
- Minimally invasive.
- Absolutely one of the best things about SkinPen® microneedling. Relatively gentle on your skin with minimal bruising and/or bleeding.
- Increased collagen production.
- Collagen is responsible for keeping your skin looking healthy and youthful.
- Decreases the appearance of scars.
- This occurs through stimulated production of new skin cells which help to fill in and smooth out old and new scars.
- Minimizes pores.
- Reduced poor size is beneficial in helping your skin look smoother and more youthful.
- Reduces wrinkles.
- Reduces the appearance of dark circles under the eyes.
- As microneedling creates tiny punctures in the skin it helps stimulate collagen production which in turn reduces the appearance of dark circles under your eyes. Generally, once your skin has healed you should see a noticeable improvement.
Microneedling is a rejuvenating skin treatment that addresses:
- Wrinkles and fine lines
- Sun damage
- Mild inelasticity
- Acne scars
- Large pores
- Rough skin
- Dull skin
You may hear microneedling referred to as percutaneous collagen induction, because the treatment increases collagen in your skin. Collagen is the supportive scaffolding of youthful, smooth skin. It naturally declines with age. By inducing the creation of collagen (as well as elastin), microneedling leads to smoother, plumper, firmer skin.
The Microneedling Process
Modern treatments use an automated pen-like device. It’s handheld. The head of the device contains a circular arrangement of tiny needles. The device is set to penetrate the skin at a certain depth, making the treatment highly customizable.
As the provider passes the head of rotating needles across the skin, the needles make tiny openings in the epidermis. These minuscule punctures prompt a healing response in the skin without damaging tissue.
Opening the skin’s pores for nourishing topicals: Another benefit of microneedling is that the skin is essentially opened up via the tiny channels made, and can thereby better absorb any variety of rejuvenating topical ointments, creams and other skin products chosen by you and the provider.
How Long Does it Take to Heal from Microneedling?
Microneedling is minimally invasive, but your face will be flushed and red for about 24-72 hours after the appointment. During this time, don’t apply facial cosmetics. We know it is tempting to conceal the redness, but microneedling opens the pores of your face, so the last thing to do is clog all those channels into the epidermis with makeup.
What should I expect my skin to look like immediately after the procedure?
For 24-48 hours, it is normal to experience peeling, dryness, swelling and bumps. We recommend use of our SKINFUSE® Post SkinPen® Protocol which cleanses, moisturizes, and protects your skin as well as promotes a radiant and fresh appearance. The results will continue to improve over the next couple of months as new collagen and elastin forms.
There are a few activity limitations for the first 72 hours following microneedling. During this time, we recommend that you avoid sun exposure and strenuous exercise, because sweating and excess blood flow can cause irritation and hinder results. Minimizing sun exposure for a full week after the procedure is advised and will maximize the results of the procedure.
What is the SKINFUSE® Post SkinPen Protocol?
Post procedure, we recommend that our clients do not put anything on skin in the procedure area other than products in the Skinfuse regimen. Other products may contain ingredients which could cause complications rather than assisting the skin's natural healing process.
The SKINFUSE® treatment kit will contain everything you need including:
- PURIFY Cleansing Complex
- RESCUE Calming Complex, soothing post-microneedling gel
- RECLAIM Hydrating Support, which supplies essential skin cell nutrients and hydration
- FORTIFY Vita C Serum, post-microneedling antioxidant
- SHIELD Zinc Oxide 21% SPF 30, which is a sunscreen
The kit comes with instructions regarding when to begin using each of these products, how to use them, and how often.